Will Insurance Cover My Injury?

If you have been injured in an accident you are likely wondering “Will insurance cover my injury?” To understand this question, attorney Zach Parry explains the different insurance coverage options. Learn the difference between “full” and “complete” insurance coverage by watching this video. Determining what your insurance will and will not cover after you have been injured in a car accident will all depend on the type of coverage you are paying for. Learn what kind of insurance coverage you should have.

Here is the transcript of the video above:

Hi, my name is Zach Parry. Today, I’m going to be talking a little bit about insurance coverage. As a personal injury attorney I meey with people every day who have been in an accident. And one of the first questions I ask them, is what type of insurance they carry. What their coverages are.

Often they say they have full coverage, although I’m not quite sure what full coverage means because there is not really specific definition to it and when we dig down into it, often they do not have sufficient coverage. So, I am going to give you some recommendations as to what I think your minimum coverages should be. Or, what types of coverage because Nevada’s minimums are to low.

Everyone has to drive with some type of insurance coverage. That is the law. But the minimum coverage required in Nevada is ten thousand dollars for property damage and fifteen thousand dollars or bodily injury coverage. Those two together are what’s known as liability coverage. So, a lot of drivers out there only have the minimum coverage. The problems is, you can do a lot more than ten thousand dollars in property damage and certainly more than fifteen thousand dollars in bodily injury damage in a single accident. It is very easy.

So, the first thing I would do is get more than the minimum coverage. Because, if you are in an accident and you are at fault, those are the covereds that apply to the other person. And the law says that if those coverages are not enough to compensate the other people in the car, they can come after you personally difference. So, get enough coverage to where you feel commfortable driving around. I would recommend a minimum of $50,000 in property and $100,000 in bodily injury coverage.

The second type of coveage that I would get is called MedPay, sometimes it is called personal injury protection. The thing about insurance coverage is that is usually covers other people if you are at fault. MedPay is not like that. If you’re in an accident, regardless of who is at fault, the MedPay coverage will pay for your medical bills. So, if there isn’t enough coverage on the other side, or they don’t have insurance, your MedPay will coverage will cover you and your passengers.

The third type of coverage is uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Approximately one in seven drivers is driving without insurance. That is 14%. Which means that if you are struck by someone who does not have insurance, you have to pay for it yourself. But if all you have is Nevada’a minimum coverages, it won’t pay at all. Because liability coverage covers other people. So what you want is uninsured motorist protection and that will kick in if you are injured by someone else who has no insurance. And, usually it’s the same coverage it’s also call underinsured. And that takes effect if the other driver has insurance but not sufficient to cover your losses.

So, if you’re going to be driving out on Nevada’s roads, be careful. But, make sure you maintain at least enough coverage that not only other people you hit will be protected but you yourself will be protected.